Tuning the dipole using the 1:1 Balun

I had some time yesterday afternoon to tune up the wire i am using with the 1:1 Balun dipole project.

I set myself up outside and ran out the dipole as I would deploy it for a SOTA activation.

IMG_2957 IMG_2959

The antenna was too long as expected given how I had cut the wire!



I started to trim the antenna, taking lengths off each end starting big and then getting smaller before checking the resonance again.

IMG_2960 IMG_2961

In the end, I have managed to get the dipole resonate on 7090Khz, perfect for sota!.

IMG_2976 IMG_2964

Once the antenna was tuned, I connected up the FT817 and had a play on 40m, with good signal reports into central NSW and Melbourne from Adelaide.

IMG_2984 IMG_2981

IMG_3004 IMG_2983

and finally, some views form the farm!

IMG_3017 IMG_3012

One thought on “Tuning the dipole using the 1:1 Balun

  1. Pingback: Sota Activation - VK5/SE-005 Mt Lofty - VK3BQ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.